Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Tie Breaker Controversy...

The Card Blog League of Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball has a bit of controversy... If you couldn't tell from the title above, the rules regarding tie breakers in the playoffs have been questioned.

The #2 seed, Roadrunners, tied 5-5 with the #7 seed, Jacobmrley's Chain, in the first round of the playoffs. As the commissioner, it is my duty to explain the tie breaker rules. Since I had NO idea what the rules were, I went to the Oracle of Yahoo!; sacrificed two cheeseburgers, fries and a shake; wrote my question in sanskrit on a clay tablet; and threw it into the Holy Fire Pit of Funstonicus.

After hours of waiting in the lobby, Funstonicus' executive assistant handed me my answer:

In the event that a playoff game ends in a tie, the deadlock will be broken using the following system:

1. Team posing least threat to Pintadores de PunkRock
2. Lowest team ERA
3. Highest team AVG
4. Lowest team WHIP
5. Most team HR (batters)
6. Most team Wins
7. Most team RBI
8. Most team Saves
9. Most team Runs (batters)
10. Most team Strikeouts (pitchers)
11. Most team SB
12. Random "coin flip."


I made up #1 (no offense to Jacobmrley's Chain), but the rest are in Yahoo's rules... I would imagine the "Lowest team ERA" was chosen to prevent spamming of pitchers...

5 comments:

SpastikMooss said...

Last year I tied 5-5 in the 2 week championship battle of my league. That was the day I learned the era tie breaker, because I won the week and championship because of it.

It's hella arbitrary...but I guess they have to pick something. I agree with the anti streamer though though.

Mark Aubrey said...

Since your wisdom far surpasses mine, you can be Commissioner of Ginta-A-Cuffs II, Boogaloo in Baltimore.

AdamE said...

Since I tied in your league also last week I wondered how you came up with the tie breaker. I figured you just went with the higher seed.

--David said...

Adam - that would be too easy, and we can't have that now, can we?

jacobmrley said...

I'm glad you cleared that up, since I had no idea why I won...not that i'm complaining.