Thursday, January 14, 2010

A New Leaf: Day #9 (Early Morning Postings)...

It is five in the morning, and I have been at work for over an hour. Considering that I work an hour away from my home, I have been awake for a while now. Yet, even after two cups of coffee, I am still a little sleepy. It could be because I normally roll into the office around seven.

Why am I here so early? I have blogging to do!!! (Not really.) I did want to catch up, but I was actually "volunteered" to play delivery boy. Our company's truck driver is on vacation in Hawaii (Damn, I wish I got paid as much as our driver.) I was out of the office yesterday, so I was chosen to fill in for him this morning. I was asked if I would mind (read: told that I would be) driving a load of (product deleted to protect anonymity) to Northridge (2-1/2 hours away) for a 7am delivery. Despite the fact that it would require me to get up at three in the morning, I said, "Sure!"

My response was taken as an affirmative. My subtle defiance was the knowledge that my response of "Sure!" was a direct response to the question, "Would you mind?"

Hell yes I mind!!!

Well, the powers that be assumed I meant that I would gladly do my part to help the company. I was given a brief description of who I was meeting in Northridge and a reaffirmation that the delivery needed to be there by seven. The truck was to be loaded, gassed up, and ready to roll for my bleary-eyed arrival. A map would be placed on my desk, along with paperwork to accompany the load.

When I got to the office a little over an hour ago, there was no map on my desk. Hmm, maybe it is in the truck? Nope, the truck was empty. Empty. No paperwork, no map, no (product deleted to protect anonymity). Well, that sucks. Being the polite chap that I am, I felt that it would be rude to call at four in the morning to complain. So I sat at my desk and did what any good employee would do about it... I started blogging.

I'll let you know how this all turns out, but in the meantime here's a photo of my desk (sans map and delivery paperwork):



As you can see, I like an uncluttered workspace. Here is a close-up of my trophy:


It actually has interchangable plaques. My next favorite is:


Yes, that is dust on top. Don't worry, I dusted it off shortly after the photo... Well, not really. I did consider dusting it. That has to be worth something...

2 comments:

Motherscratcher said...

Wow, employee of teh Day. I'm surprised I didn't see that in the quarterly.

Keep your nose to the grindstone and sometime soon you may be employee of teh week. That's when the big bucks start rollin' in.

Me? I've never been employee of the anything

Motherscratcher said...

What the hell is it with me and teh word "the"?