Monday, November 3, 2008

2009 Meets 1975 Craptacular!


Like a lot of you, I got my first glimpse of the 2009 Upper Deck baseball cards today. A big thank you goes out to Mario at Wax Heaven for the pix. I am really impressed with the base cards. The design is great. I certainly hope the fronts are as easy to read as the card shown.

It would be fantastic if they toned down the foil in the base set. I come from a time and place where foil (or “the shiny stuff” as we called it) was reserved for limited inserts. Come to think of it, they should turn down that glossiness. And get those gosh durn kids off my lawn!

Sorry, I was possessed by the old man that lives down the street for a minute there… You know the one. He’s got a McCain – Palin sign, with a smaller sign next to it stating, “This Sign Protected by Smith & Wesson.”

I can’t wait for this election to be over.

I should get back to the latest and greatest from Sea Otter Place. I wasn’t floored by any of the inserts that were shown, but only one of them made me throw up in my mouth a little. The “1975 O-Pee-Chee” Ichiro card is just plain horrible.

Don’t get me wrong, I love “retro” stuff. I am just a little confused as to why they would go so cheesy with this insert set. They used that same, crappy, retro font that they have used before in the Decade 1970’s set. I actually liked that set. They put some effort into it. Although, I could live without ever pulling an insert called “Disco Era Dandies” again. In fact, the word “dandies” has been banned from this blog!

If they are going to use their O-Pee-Chee privileges to steal from Topps, why don’t they do a better job? It seems a bit half-assed. Wouldn’t it be cool to show the players in throwback uniforms? I am sure they have plenty of photos available. Of course, jerks like me would probably complain that the throwback uni photo they used wasn’t a 1974 throwback. It would make for a great uniform related blog. Heck, I would go out of my way to get the entire set. It would be my little tribute to Paul Lukas’ UniWatch blog.

In the spirit of the election, I bring the choice to you. All eight of you who stumble across this blog, do your duty as Americans or Canadians. (I don’t like to brag, but this blog has been read in at least TWO countries!) Choose which “1975 O-Pee-Chee” retro insert style you would rather pull out of your pack of 2009 Upper Deck:

The actual crap:
























Or the crap I whipped up in the fifteen minutes of my lunch break after finishing my tuna sub on jalapeno cheddar bread from Subway:



You may vote using the comments section, or mail your ballot to:

PunkRockPaint’s Crappy Insert Contest
5909 Sea Otter Place
Carlsbad, CA 92010

(Please don’t actually mail anything to the above address. The nice people in the mailroom at Upper Deck don’t need the added work.)

For you Americans out there... Be sure to vote.

10 comments:

AlbuqwirkE said...

Maybe all the new O-Pee-Chee variations will consist of poorly "aligned" cuts. Now wouldn't that be fun?

night owl said...

I'll go with your crappy insert by a mile (at the risk of sounding old-manish myself, the Astros weren't wearing those uniforms in 1974-75. Don't throw anything at me!)

dayf said...

Wholly Carp, that Tejada card is awesome. How about you just do a whole set of those and I'll give you the twenny bucks I'd pay for a blaster instead.

(I too liked the '70s Decade set)

jv said...

Man, I hadn't realized until this morning that I hadn't yet linked you on TNB. I'm doing that now. I could have sworn I had already done that. Sorry, man...

Rod (Padrographs) said...

I prefer the one you made. I like the idea of using throwback unis for the throwaway, I mean throwback cards.

James B. Anama said...

Yours. Better. By a mile.

Unfortunately, if UD did make the OPC cards to look like the real thing, there'd be a lawsuit happening.

Sincerely,

JayBee Anama
bdj610

PunkRockPaint said...

My question is then, why do they even bother?

I have decided to make a retro set of my own. I will try to post them as I make them...

capewood said...

I understand that Upper Deck bought the O-Pee-Chee name. I wonder what rights that gives them. For many years, the O-Pee-Chee cards had the same design as Topps cards. Does Upper Deck have the rights to reproduce old Topps designs? Doesn't seem right somehow.

GCA said...

Throwback unis rock!! Your design is better by an order of magnitude, especially the mangled French translation! Awesome idea to match the unis & the retro design. And don't put any rookies in the set either!

Anonymous said...

I'd about cut my arm off for a real Tejada card like that...real nice.